This year, increasing numbers of local families will turn to us for support, and all of the care we provide to them is free of charge. We provide our services free of charge, but only 22% of our total running costs are funded by the NHS – leaving us to raise £3.22 million each year. Without our volunteers’ gift of time, dedication and commitment, less money would be available to provide our free patient services.
We would not exist without the wonderful support our volunteers provide. Each month, our volunteers give more than 5,750 hours of their time. That generosity saves more than £1 million per year for the hospice, which means donations can be spent on providing care and support to hundreds of local people.
Whatever your skills, there’s a volunteering role for you at the hospice. We’re always looking for more volunteers to join our team.
Our volunteers help by:
- Sorting and collecting donated goods
- Driving to collect donated goods (drivers/driver’s mates)
- Volunteering in our shops
- Running our eBay shop
- Offering support in our office and at reception
- Providing emotional support to patients and to their loved ones
- And more!
All our volunteers get something slightly different from the experience, such as:
- Making a difference to an individual’s life
- Changing the way things work for the better
- Getting invaluable work experience
- Developing new skills
- Putting existing skills to good use
- Getting involved with the community
- Making new friends
Whether you’re interested in volunteering as a group or as an individual, we have a wide range of volunteer roles available in both the hospice as well as our retail team (which includes our shops and warehouse). Even if you can only spare a few hours a week, you’re sure to find something to suit you!