Want to tick something off of your bucket list this year? Extreme Weston Hospicecare covers everything from skydiving to abseiling, caving to fire walks. These are some of the most extreme challenges that you can set yourself.
For those who like a challenge while raising money for a worthwhile cause, Weston Hospicecare regularly hold skydive events in conjunction with Skydive Buzz. Taking off from Dunkerswell airfield, participants can enjoy a tandem skydive from 15,000 feet- the highest altitude possible without needing additional O2!
Freefalling for two miles at a thrilling 120 miles per hour, followed by a leisurely parachute ride back to the ground gives an amazing rush of adrenaline, followed by an overwhelming sense of peace and tranquility. A skydive is the ultimate bucket list experience, and by raising money for Weston Hospicecare at the same time, you get to give something back to the local community.
Option A (Sponsorship) – Registration Fee £50 + Min Sponsorship £345
- Pay a registration fee, and then raise the minimum sponsorship amount for Weston Hospicecare.
- You must send 80% of the minimum sponsorship amount to Weston Hospicecare prior to the date of the challenge, and you should also let us know of the pledges for the remaining 20% prior to your event. All outstanding sponsorship must be received within six weeks of completing the challenge.
Option B (Self-Funded) – Registration Fee £50 + Self Funding £200
- Pay a registration fee, and then the cost of the challenge must be paid out of your own money prior to the date of the challenge.
- Although there is no minimum sponsorship required, we ask you to raise as much sponsorship as you can. Any sponsorship collected must come directly to Weston Hospicecare.
In 2018, Weston Hospicecare will be holding its first ever caving event!! Unique to the Mendips and our little corner of the country, we are offering a once in a lifetime opportunity that cannot be experienced elsewhere. The Mendip Hills has the largest underground cave network in the UK. Experience the amazing underground labyrinth of passages and caverns first hand.
Caving is a sport for all, but it is intended to be a challenge. This is a popular group activity for people and children of all ages, and can be adapted to accommodate all abilities. It gives people an opportunity to push their comfort levels and take part in something truly unique. Crawl, walk, climb, lower and pull yourself through the subterranean caverns and discover flowing formations, stalagmites and stalactites hidden deep beneath our feet.
When : Saturday 24th February
What you get:
• You will be kitted up in a cave suit, helmet, head torch and given a full briefing before you head down below the surface.
• The Mendip Outdoor Pursuits instructors will tailor the session to your ability and allow you to progress at your own pace, ensuring your experience is unique, enjoyable and offers much more than any open cave tour
• A professional photographer will be there to document your descent and to give you a lasting memory of your unforgettable experience; and you will receive a certificate to show off to all your friends and family!
Places are limited and this event is sure to fill up quickly, take the plunge and register now to secure your spot and avoid disappointment.
Registration fee: £35 + pledge to raise £100 for Weston Hospicecare
In 2017, Weston Hospicecare held its first-ever abseil event in the rocky shadows of Uphill Quarry, which is just a short walk from the hospice itself!
Whether you are an adrenaline junkie or have a life-long fear of heights to overcome, this 150-foot abseil event will appeal to people of all ages and abilities.
Date for 2018 Abseil is to be confirmed. Places will be limited to 25 participants, and there is a minimum age of 14 to take part. You don’t need to have any previous experience; the technique will all be explained on the day!
Cost: Registration fee: £25 + pledge to raise £100 for Weston Hospicecare
What you get:
- An experienced instructor will talk you through the process and fit you with a helmet and harness before you start your 150-foot descent down the vertical, rocky cliff face to the bottom of the quarry. You’ll lower yourself with the safety of a second rope held by your instructor to guide you down the rocky face of the cliff.
- A professional photographer will be there to document your descent, giving you a lasting memory of your unforgettable experience. (Photos on our website for download.)
- A receive a certificate to show off to all your friends and family!
To register your interest for this exhilarating experience, email us or call 01934 423967.